“I and my Father are one.” John 10:30 (KJV)
In the above verse, Jesus says that he and his father are one, here it makes a puzzle to many believers and readers who are seeking the one true living God. Since the Bible has revealed the truth so we are to investigate the actual meaning of this scripture where Jesus expressed his divinity before us.
Deuteronomy 6:4 says Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord. This means the Lord is one in number.
The Jews had a concept of one God which is why when Jesus claimed he and his father are one they picked up stones to kill him because he made himself equal with God.
To understand this verse we must go through the old testament where so many scriptures directly teach us the existence of one God who appeared before Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and all the prophets who heard the voice of the Lord.
Isaiah Also Recorded The Scriptures That Explicitly Teach Us There Is Only One God.
- There was no God formed, neither shall there be after me, I even I am the Lord, beside me, there is no savior (Isaiah 43:10-1).
- Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me, there is no God (Isaiah 44:6).
- Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any (Isaiah 44:8).
- I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself (Isaiah 44:24).
- There is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else (Isaiah 45:6).
- I am God, and there is none else (Isaiah 45:22).
- For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me (Isaiah 46:9).
Let us examine the above scripture which tells us the existence of one true God who formed his people in the old testament, in whom he revealed his strength and power.
According To John 10:30 What Is Jesus And Father
Mark 12:28 Here we can see Jesus was being asked what is the greatest among all the commandments and Jesus replied to them the one God who is to be given our utmost attention, strength, and time.
We have to know the connection between the father and the son Jesus which will make us clear how one God who exists in heaven as father and his spirit also dwelt in the physical body of Jesus at the same time.
This does not mean that two gods existed but it is true that one God existed in two separate places as it is the very nature of God that enables him to dwell everywhere at a single time.
There are so many scriptures in the old testament which are spoken by the prophets concerning the birth, suffering, and crucifixion of Jesus. If we read the scriptures we will understand the context will clearly teach that the one God will become man and he will reveal himself before mankind and walk with them and sacrifice his life for the sake of the entire mankind redeeming from their sin.
When Jesus says I it means he was speaking about the God who dwelt in his human body and when he speaks about father it means speaking about the eternal spirit of God which exists in heaven and everywhere.
Jesus did not tell us about two different gods but he claims himself as he is the father who appeared in flesh.
Jesus says that we can see the father when we see him as he claimed those who had seen him have also seen the Father too (John 14:7). When Philip asked him to show the Father, Jesus rebuked him and told him that he had been so long with them yet they failed to see the Father. Here Jesus made them clear that he is bearing the image of the invisible Father through his human body (John 14:8-9). He also told them to believe him that the Father dwelt in him and the miraculous works were done by the father (John 14:10-11).
If we simply read the scripture then we will surely get confused about the father, son, and holy Ghost terms. But we need to go deeper into the scriptures to get the truth.
The Following Verses Also Help Us To Know That Jesus Is the Father Who Took The Human Form To Deliver Us From The Upcoming Danger.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:19 “To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them, and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.”
- John 1:18 “No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”
- Colossians 1:15 “Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 “In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
- Hebrews 10:20 “By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh.”
- John 1:10-11 “He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.”
- Colossians 2:9 “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.”
- John 8:24 “I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.”
- John 12:45 “And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.”
More Bible Topics
But Sanctify The Lord God In Your Hearts-1 Peter 3:15 Meaning
Bible Verse Meaning of John – 8:12 I Am The Light Of The World
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me – Philippians 4:13 Meaning
Bible Verse Meaning Of John 10:9 – I Am The Door If Anyone Enters By Me